Many of those who know me personally will recognise my affection towards food, what more than Sarawak Kolo Mee(The greatest thing since the invention of the internet). I spent most of my life in Sarawak and I grow up eating Kolo Mee. Since moving back to KL 4 years ago, the one thing I miss the most from Sarawak is the Kolo Mee. I can have only kolo mee for 2 days in a row if you put me back in Sarawak now. I even had the audacity to ask friends to tapau for me and hand carry all the way back to KL just to satisfy my addiction. Its addictive, trust me.

I have searched high and low for authentic Kolo Mee in the Klang Valley, nothing came as close as this shop. It is located in Puchong, nearby from where I stay, i can dare say that its 90% close to the original one i had in Sarawak. I patronise this stall at least once a week without fail, why the craziness towards this simple and humble dish? Only Sarawakians will understand. To all you Semenanjung people who still think Sarawakians live on trees heres a simple introduction from wikipedia about kolo mee.

'Kolo mee' or 'koh-loh mein' (egg noodles, flash-boiled and then served with (classically) garlic, shallots, minced pork, white vinegar, pork oil or in some cases peanut oil and sliced barbecue pork also known as "char siew") this is a widely popular dish with the local population in Sarawak. Also known as 'Kan Mien', 'Kampua', 'Mee Kolok'. How does it taste like? Heavenly.

Its dinstictive difference between the wantan mee in Semenanjung and the kan mien one in Sarawak is the white color noodles, the one in Sarawak is not blanched with dark soya sauce. One can request though to have it black(add dark soy) or red(add char siu sauce). This dish is so good, it is even mentioned in the Sarawak Tourism Board's(STB) website

Let me introduce you to one of my favourite eateries in Puchong, Sarawak Kolo Mee in Bintang Food Court, Puchong. The boss is a Sarawakian and the stall is open everyday from morning till noon. He finishes selling them around 2-3pm so do go early as it is quite crowded especially during weekends.

kolo mee


kolo mee

The default setting of Sarawak Kolo Mee is the noodle, boiled vege, minced pork, very RED cha siu, fried shallots and spring onion. This is Kuching's Kolo Mee from Kennysia.com
kolo mee

This is Sarawak Kolo Mee from the stall.
kolo mee

This is the Large portion which is priced at RM4.30. Its priced very decently as it is really filling. The Normal portion is priced at RM3.80, and Kosong at RM2. It is served with minced pork, cha siu, vege, pork with mushroom, lots of shallots and onions. Even the vinegared chilli is there!YUM!

Have it with a nice cup of Teh C Peng (Iced Milk Tea) and you'll see a happy Walter for the day.
kolo mee

Let us see how it fares in Walter's Kolo Mee Checklist

The Kolo Mee checklist
Correct Noodles

Boiled Vege

Red Chasiu

Minched pork

Fried Shallots and spring onions

Taste

Chicken Bowl


In case you are wondering what is the Chicken Bowl, it is the distinct deep bowl with Chicken Printing used to serve Kolo Mee in Sarawak. The Kolo Mee served in this shop is served on a flat plastic plate.

My verdict; This kolo mee beats the crap out of everything i've tasted so far; Kolo Mee in Ming Tien, Original Hand Made Kolo Mee in Asia Cafe. They tend to get confused between Hakka Mee and Kolo Mee. Kolo Mee is not flat owhkay?. On a final note, I can dare say that this is the best Sarawak Kolo Mee you can get in the Klang Valley, other who wishes to disagree please let me know the location of the stall, I can have a try to see if it's really that good. If not we might have to agree to disagree.

Location
Bintang Food Court
Jln TK1/11F,
Puchong, Selangor
Malaysia

Right behind Bintang Supermarket. Refer map for directions.
Photobucket


END!

EDIT 10/4/2011 : I have been getting comments that the quality of the noodles has dropped tremendously. Am out of the country at the moment so I am unable to give a honest remark on it. Just a heads up, I don't want this post to be misleading. =D

20 comments
  1. WT March 31, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

    testing!

  2. Paco March 31, 2009 at 9:21 PM  

    Got a chance on short trip to Sarawak months ago, but never got chance to eat this so called Kolo Mee, looks like Wan Tan Mee in Penang.

  3. Waco April 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

    Good review! Looks like Wan Tan Mee without dark sauce. Not sure whether got chance to try it in Penang.

  4. WT April 1, 2009 at 9:22 AM  

    Thanks for the comments, it tastes damn good :D. You'll need to find a specialty store that serves kolo mee here in west malaysia. Over in Sarawak its a staple food. Every shop has it.

    Similar to wantanmee, without dark sauce, and less watery. This is one dry 100% with a tinge of oil!

  5. Twilight Man April 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

    Goodness! You described so detail with Google Map! So next time I wanna eat there, you bring me there ok! I dunno whether Kolo Mee and Sibu's Kampua Mee is the same or not?

  6. Anonymous April 8, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

    Ooo... I must try it then because I have been looking out to try an authentic Kolo Mee. Most of it are just pathetic! Hehehe... By the way, Hi Walter, I got to know your blog from Twilight Zone after you won his branded chocolate. Hehehe... So, are you a Sarawakian?

  7. WT April 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

    haha thanks for the comment. Surge of traffic after my mug shot is in twilight zone.

    Calvin,
    I'm a Sabahan but i spent practically 80% of my life so far in Sarawak. Kolomee is one of the things that i miss the most since moving here:). Are you a Sarawakian?

  8. MiChi April 9, 2009 at 12:27 AM  

    Hmm. I got hungry after seeing your Kolo Mee! It's my favourite too but didn't realize there is a good one in KL.

  9. Bengbeng April 10, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

    When you go with twilight zone, ask twilight to invite me along too. I love to try the kolo mee

  10. rokh May 8, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

    have you tried the kolo mee at Good Luck Restaurant, Taman Megah? let me know which one better if you have, if not, do try as I found the one there yummy but could not compare to the authentic one as I have never been to Sarawak *shame

  11. Leona July 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM  

    There's Sarawak Kolomee in Kajang. The noodles are very authentic, the curly ones. ALthough the other things like the pork is not so similar.

  12. WT September 21, 2009 at 5:16 PM  

    Think the best kolo mee in KlangValley still is this one. Tried the other, but the taste does not seem to taste right.

  13. Kasz December 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

    Agree with you that this one is the best that I tasted so far. Everything is authentic and just like the one back home. I have tried the one at Ming Tien and Good Luck (both at Taman Megah) and which are just so-so. And recently I found 1 more spot selling Kolo Mee at Cheras. I wrote about it in my blog. Kasz @ http://kaszhero.com

  14. Soon January 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM  

    Sorry to be a bit harsh here. i just tested the noodle after i read this blog this afternoon. It really disappointed me especially i travel from Kota Damansara to Puchong just for the noodle. The worst Kolo Mee i ever had.

  15. EasyBebe March 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM  

    The Bintang kolo mee quality has dropped tremendously.

    For authentic and delicious sarawak kolo mee, can try the Kolo Mee at Restoran Ming Yang in Kuchai Lama (behind Pappa Rich) The boss is from Kuching and start selling from 4pm onwards. Can call him at 016-8887201.

  16. WT April 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM  

    Soon, EasyBebe

    Hi and thanks for dropping by, I am out of the country at the moment and I personally have not been there for a year and a half already. I will make a visit when i go back and probably try it myself. Will reedit my post to reflect the current quality of the noodles!

    Thanks!

  17. Anonymous November 25, 2011 at 8:26 PM  

    FYI, the Kolo Mee at Restoran Ming Yang is now available from 6.30am till night. Take your time to visit ya~ ^_*

  18. Unknown November 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM  

    The best in kl

    https://m.facebook.com/Sarawak-Kolok-Mee-Cheras-KL-1692618414315456/

  19. Unknown November 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM  

    The best in kl

    https://m.facebook.com/Sarawak-Kolok-Mee-Cheras-KL-1692618414315456/

  20. Anonymous November 30, 2015 at 8:32 PM  

    I am a Sarawakian. HV tried few times at that stall. Yak!!! The worst kolok mere ever tried b4 . Worst the way he cook it is very untidy n unhygenic.

Post a Comment